Saturday 21 August 2010

Should I go for "Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover’s Soul Dog Food "?

We are particular on Chicken Soup books to those who want to learn how to cook soups! But one day, I had been surprise when I came across a Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover’s Soul dog food in the pet store. It’s the packaging that captured me, and of course I laughed it off thinking it was just another company wanting to get rich through the dog owner’s pockets. A few weeks later, the company happened to contact me – not knowing I had mocked their dog food in the store recently – and asked me if I would like some samples. I’m never one to pass up free samples so I happily accepted them not knowing that they would prove once again that you shouldn’t judge a book, or dog food bag, by its cover!


The package arrived with a few packets of Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover’s Soul dry dog food and some canned dog food as well. Being the Lab Brats mommy and responsible dog owner that I am, I sat down and read the entire packaging – from ingredients onward. I was in shock when I found the following listed in the ingredients:

“Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, ocean fish meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, oatmeal, millet, white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, egg product, tomato pomace, duck, salmon, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor…”


What? This stuff was healthy?? No way!


Yes way!



People may not notice to see when glancing at the package is that there is a banner that states: “Holistic for Health”. Don’t let the packaging fool you – this is holistic dog food people! The entire packaging lists their slow cooked method, the balance of the major food groups, antioxidants, promotion of healthy skin and easily absorbed minerals. Upon further inspection of their dog food-feeding guide, you can tell that it is a higher quality food and not loaded with fillers because you don’t have to feed a lot to your dog. After my due diligence was complete, I let the Labradors try the dry dog food to see if he will like the new food. Although many Labrador Retrievers will eat anything, my Dakota is a very picky eater and couldn’t wait for me to get the bag open before giving her a few kibbles. Surprisingly, the Lab Brats love it for the taste and I love it for the quality and health benefits. Will I switch from my Holistic Select dog food to the Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover’s Soul dog food? No – I would not switch at this time simply for the fact that my dogs have done so well on their current dog food that there is no need to switch. I should stay with the food that my dogs are on to. However, I now may have an alternative should my other dog food ever come under question. Of course, I would do more research before switching but the initial review looks promising!

Have you tried Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover’s Soul dog food? What are your thoughts? Did the package deter you from wanting to try the product?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails